Most dental implants will be created from a titanium post that is implanted into the jawbone. A crown is then attached to the top and this can be made from ceramic, resin or porcelain. The end result is a smile that looks as though there were never any teeth missing from it. Dental implants are popular today but there are still some misconceptions that surround them - these are the most common:
● Implants are only for retirees. It’s true that it’s as we get older that we are more likely to experience tooth loss so that’s when implants can be most useful. However, a dental implant is the ideal choice for replacing a lost tooth at any age, whether that’s the result of an injury or accident, or due to genetics or diet.
● The process of fitting dental implants is painful. Anesthetic is used during the process of fitting a dental implant so it is no more painful than a regular dental procedure. You won’t feel the drilling part and will be able to manage any discomfort that happens afterwards with regular over-the-counter pain medication. Any discomfort that occurs after the first stage of fitting an implant is unlikely to last longer than a week. The second stage - fitting the crown - is painless. Your dentist will be able to talk you through the process, including anesthetic and pain management.
● Implants feel fake and look fake. In fact ,there is no indication that the implant isn’t simply one of your teeth because they are designed to be very realistic. A dental implant will be drilled into your jaw so that it sits next to other teeth and the crown is designed to fit the colour of your other teeth. For most patients, neither they nor anyone else can tell the difference between their teeth and the implant.
● You must have perfect teeth for implants to work. In fact, the reason many people opt for dental implants is often because their teeth are far from perfect. You will need to have a healthy jaw bone to be eligible for implants, as this is where the dental implant will attach. Your dentist will also look at the health of your gums and surrounding teeth to ensure that the implant is going to be the right choice for you.
● The cost of dental implants is prohibitive. If you’re looking for a solution to something like a missing tooth then a dental implant is simple in cost terms. After the initial payment for having the implant fitted, as long as you look after it, there should be minimal costs associated with the implant on an ongoing basis. Because of this it can actually work out to be cheaper than other options that require more frequent updating and maintenance.
Dental implants make a real difference to your smile - don’t let these common misconceptions stop you from getting them. One major bene to dental implants is it is a fixed set of teeth so you do not need to worry about removing the teeth each night and you get the benefit of an instant restoration of your smile, confidence and ability to chew better.
We offer a haven of tranquillity, thoughtfully designed to stimulate the senses and complemented by state-of-the-art technology that makes your experience calm, relaxing and ultimately re-energising.
Book your appointment online in just a few clicks, day or night. If you wish to discuss your needs with a member of our team, please do not hesitate to call us or find your nearest branch here.
Kindly provide your contact information below, and a member of the Zental team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.