The choices that we make around our individual health can be hugely powerful. Making changes now can set you up for a much healthier future, including when it comes to your oral health. This time of year is a great moment to review the habits that you’ve got into when it comes to your teeth and gums, and to look at what you could do in the new year to start making healthier choices. These are some of our top recommendations when it comes to new year’s resolutions for better oral health.
● Get the basics right. It’s surprising how many of us simply aren’t doing the basics when it comes to oral health. Some simple changes here can make a huge difference to the future health of your teeth. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush to brush your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day and make sure that your toothpaste contains the fluoride your teeth need to stay healthy. Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle so that you’re getting maximum effectiveness from your brushing and follow this up with either flossing or using an interdental brush to ensure that you’re leaving nothing behind.
● Review your diet. Better oral health choices start with what you’re putting into your body - some food and drink will support oral health while others can be damaging. Eating enough fruit and vegetables is essential if you want to ensure that your diet supports positive oral health. It will also be key to minimise sugary or acidic foods, reduce snacking between meals and make sure that you’re rinsing your mouth with water after consuming anything that could damage your teeth.
● Don’t avoid the issues. If you have a problem, such as an overbite or wonky teeth. This could be a great year to get that seen to. Orthodontics today offers cost effective and fast solutions that can help to correct your smile, and your comfort, in no time.
● Invest in your saliva. The saliva in our mouths plays a vital role in oral health and we often take it for granted. Saliva will supply tooth enamel with minerals and also neutralises the PH level in your mouth. Drinking plenty of water is vital to make sure that your mouth has a plentiful supply of saliva and milk and dairy products can contribute to this as well. You can also take steps to avoid ‘dry mouth’ such as avoiding excessive alcohol or consuming illegal drugs.
● Give up tobacco in 2022. If you’re still a smoker then perhaps this is the year that you quit. Tobacco has many negative effects where oral health is concerned, from staining enamel to the caustic impact it has on your teeth and gums.
● See your dentist regularly. Another great resolution for 2022 is to ensure that you’re using professional resources when it comes to positive oral health. Two visits a year to the dentist, once every six months, will help ensure that you don’t experience escalating dental issues next year.
If improving your health is at the top of your list in 2022, these oral health resolutions are a great place to start.
We offer a haven of tranquillity, thoughtfully designed to stimulate the senses and complemented by state-of-the-art technology that makes your experience calm, relaxing and ultimately re-energising.
Book your appointment online in just a few clicks, day or night. If you wish to discuss your needs with a member of our team, please do not hesitate to call us or find your nearest branch here.
Kindly provide your contact information below, and a member of the Zental team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.