What do braces do?
They can be used to realign your teeth, both for the sake of aesthetics and also for function. Our adult teeth don’t stay in one position throughout our lives but can be moved by factors such as chewing or pushing your tongue against them. If there is misalignment this can cause discomfort as well as problems like inflammation that can increase the risk of gum disease. These are all good reasons to look into adult braces. You may also not be happy with the appearance of your teeth and this is something braces can correct.
How do you know if you need braces?
Before getting braces you will need to undergo a dental exam so that your orthodontist can establish whether braces are a good idea and what kind of braces will work best for you. For example, if your teeth are overcrowded then braces could make a big difference. However, if you have gum disease this is one of the times when braces may not be recommended. There are a number of different types of braces to consider when you’re an adult, including:
● Aligners, which are usually clear plastic, removable and custom built. They will move your teeth in small increments.
● Traditional metal braces, which use small metal brackets attached to the teeth with a wire running through the brackets.
● Ceramic braces, which are the same as traditional braces except the brackets are made from a clear ceramic.
● Power chain braces, which are often used to close big gaps in teeth and are made up of rows of elastics used with metal or ceramic brackets.
What are the practicalities of adult braces?
● Cost: this will depend on the type of braces that you opt for and the dentist who fits them
● Time: the braces that you opt for will determine how long the treatment takes. Full orthodontic treatment for severe cases can be up to two years. Something like aligners will take less time.
● Pain: most adult braces won’t cause pain but there can be some discomfort, especially in the days after you have had something like traditional braces fitted.
What are the special options at zental?
Invisalign available at Zental, produces the result of traditional braces with minimal visibility on your teeth. Invisalign uses a series of clear and comfortable aligners that are hard to see. This option means you have a removable aligner for when you want to eat, brush your teeth, attend a social event and professional events. Invisalign is created bespoke to the individual using the very latest in 3D printing.
An Inman aligner is are movable appliance that can be used either as a stand-alone treatment to straighten the front teeth or as a solution prior to other cosmetic treatments, such as bonding or veneers. Whilst it uses some metal components, it is discreet and not as visible as some other teeth straitening options. The Inman aligner is a relatively quick solution to mild crowding of front teeth.
Braces vs aligners
There is a big difference between braces and aligners in terms of experience - braces are attached to your teeth while aligners are removable and each one will introduce a new, small increment of movement over time. Aligners can be a lot cheaper. It’s best to speak to your dentist to work out which one is going to be the most effective.
Many more adults are using braces today to achieve that perfect smile. At Zental we have a wide range of choices for adult teeth aligning.
We offer a haven of tranquillity, thoughtfully designed to stimulate the senses and complemented by state-of-the-art technology that makes your experience calm, relaxing and ultimately re-energising.
Book your appointment online in just a few clicks, day or night. If you wish to discuss your needs with a member of our team, please do not hesitate to call us or find your nearest branch here.
Kindly provide your contact information below, and a member of the Zental team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.