5 Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
17 June 2021
Cosmetic dentistry is a great tool if you’re looking to improve the appearance of your teeth. Some cosmetic dentistry procedures also have a restorative effect – and all can give you a confidence boost and make you feel more comfortable with your smile. If you’re considering investing in cosmetic dentistry then these are the 5 main options that you’ll have.
- Composite bonding. Composite is a material that looks like tooth enamel and which can be used to help repair teeth that have become discoloured, decayed or damaged. Decay is removed from the tooth and then the composite is applied and sculpted into the right shape. Composite bonding can be used to cover over decay, chips or cracks and give the appearance of healthy teeth.
- Onlays and inlays. If you have a tooth that has mild decay or where there isn’t enough tooth structure to support a filling, onlays and inlays can be very useful. They will provide strength to the teeth, help to maintain shape and structure and can prevent deterioration and decay from going any further. This procedure is also known as indirect fillings – if there is no damage to the tooth cusps then your dentist will use an inlay on the tooth surface. If there is some damage then an onlay can cover the whole surface of the tooth.
- Dental veneers. Veneers are custom made to fit over your natural teeth. They are essentially caps made from medical-grade ceramic. Veneers are applied individually to teeth using a dental adhesive and have a realistic, natural look that can create a bright smile. They are a great solution to a range of dental issues, from damaged enamel to cracks in teeth or teeth that are crooked.
- Dental implants. If you’ve lost teeth or you have teeth that are very damaged then dental implants can be a very effective solution – most will be almost completely identical in colour and texture to the other teeth in your mouth. The process of fitting dental implants is simple and starts with a titanium screw that is inserted into the jaw where the tooth is missing. This then provides support for the aesthetically perfect crown that can be placed on top.
- Teeth whitening. The process of teeth whitening uses a bleaching agent to help improve the appearance of teeth by making them look whiter. Our teeth can become discoloured and stained for many reasons, from smoking to poor oral hygiene. Teeth whitening coats the teeth to help improve the whiteness of teeth, regardless of lifestyle. This is a type of cosmetic dentistry that can be performed in a dentist’s office in very few sessions – in fact, some teeth whitening processes require only one visit. When you arrive for teeth whitening you will first be booked in to see the hygienist who will remove plaque, tartar etc from the surface of the teeth so that your teeth can be comprehensively whitened.
Cosmetic dentistry is accessible and effective – these are some of the most common procedures that you might want to consider if you’re looking to improve the appearance of your teeth.
To contact us, please click here or call 0203 982 8602
Book Free Consultation
BACK TO BLOG